Saturday, February 21, 2015

cargo pants and a t-shirt - the office edition

After ditching all my office wear a few years ago (kicking the work habit, as it were), I found myself with an office to go to and very few things to wear. Instead of buying clothes the way I've bought clothes all my life, I decided to have a plan. I used to randomly shop, fall in love with some dress or whatever, twirl around the dressing room (or drool online), make the purchase, hang it in the closet only to realize it didn't go with anything else I had, or it was not as practical as I needed it to be.  Basically, I bought a lot of clown clothes.  I love the prints, colors and silhouettes of fashionable clothes. I was easily seduced. Picture a lot of money headed down the tubes over the years, because, simply, I have the fashion sense of, well, a clown.

I had an opportunity to make a completely fresh start. Here is the list of guidelines I composed before heading out to the consignment shops.

1. comfortable
2. neutral solid colors - black, grey, or white
3. fit well
4. in good repair
5. machine washable
6. basic classic fashion
7. good quality brand and fabrics

I came home with a small pile of easy, functional, economical, environmental-friendly (reused) skirts, sweaters, shirts and dresses that I can wear to work without looking clown-like at all.

I also outlined a plan for seasonal changes to keep life a little more interesting.  For each season, I would add one or two pieces that were actually a real, honest-to-goodness color.
Winter = red
Spring = pink
Summer = yellow
Fall = orange

So far it's working pretty well. I have to credit Courtney Carver and the Project 333 concept for making me stop, breathe and think about life beyond clown clothes.

Also, for those of you interested in shoe collection videos (I'm just saying, one has to watch something while on the treadmill waiting for Spring).  Here is my four-season office shoe collection video photo.


Boots: Naturalizer. 
Clogs: KEEN.