Friday, December 12, 2014

patronage

One of the joys of not owning much to maintain (yard --> garden tools --> shed to hold them --> it doesn't end), is that discretionary spending moves from purchasing stuff to purchasing experiences and philanthropy. While experiences are important for expanding one's mind and I love traveling around doing things, I also love creativity and supporting creativity. Art, music, literature and those things that people do and make are just as important to me as going for a hike in the mountains.

I'm talking about patronage here. Not the political, back-office-dealing kind, but the good kind, the supportive, promotional, and sponsorship kind. I am happy that we have enough to share with the creative community. I get more joy out of buying a book or music that some I know has created than buying almost anything else (except food!). 

When our son began to be interested in music in high school, I realized the critical role that patronage plays in the lives of creative people. It was then I decided I was going to try buy a copy of everything created by someone I know. I limit it now to digital copies, but I buy all the music and books that I can.

Feel free to explore the list below. This is my ever-expanding circle of creatives. Make your own list: buy a book by someone you know or support your musician friend. It's fundamentally more satisfying than any other random crap you could buy and it keeps the creativity going around.

Music
Xander Lott  (our son!)
Karen Chase


Someone "designing sound". Yes, this is what it looks like.